Higham Hall was built about 1800 in a style rare in this county, and was for seventy-six years the home of the Hoskins family. The Fisher family moved in early this century. There are several memorial stained glass windows to members of the Fisher family in the nearby little Church of St Barnabas at Setmurthy.
In 1951 it opened as a youth hostel, and three years later became a residential girlís school until 1974.
For over 30 years Higham Hall was the Lake Districtís Residential College for Continuing Education owned by Cumbria County Council. In January 2009 it became an independent Educational Trust but continues to provide a wide range of courses to stimulate and inspire adults of all ages. Students attend from all over Cumbria and the UK as well as abroad.
There are four acres of informal Victorian gardens including a pond, woodland walk, specimen trees, lawns, vegetable garden, and rhododendrons. There are spectacular views over Bassenthwaite Lake towards Skiddaw, the giant of the Northern Fells. Nearby is the Elva Plain Stone Circle, and the tiny St Barnabas Church at Setmurthy.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham
Get directions on Google Maps :